- Ann has…30+ years in the field of international credential evaluation, including leadership in NAFSA, TAICEP, AACRAO, EAIE
- Ann is an…author, researcher, leader, expert, standard-setter
- As an evaluator, Ann is…intrepid and unafraid of drilling down into complex evaluation cases
- Ann has been…a mentor to many, and is a friend to those of us lucky enough to know her
30+ years of progressive expertise and leadership in international education
International credential evaluation:
∙ Research, publication, evaluator supervision, and training
∙ Best practices in documentation review and verification
∙ Fraud awareness and investigation: documents, institutions, accreditation
∙ Design, implementation and management of research projects and training programs
∙ Specialist in educational systems of the regions of the CIS and Central Asia and Europe; academic disciplines of law, music, nursing and medical professions, and others.
∙ Fluent in English and German; excellent writing and editing skills; research skills in most languages
Campus-based student services:
∙ International undergraduate and graduate admissions
∙ Registrar and student services management
∙ Student academic advising
AACRAO, Washington DC: Associate Director, March 2002 – Sept. 2021 (retirement)
▪ Evaluation: Evaluate foreign academic records and manage evaluation staff and services. Contribute content and evaluation guidance as ex-officio member of the AACRAO International Education Standards Council (IESC). ▪ Evaluation Management and Training: Develop evaluation policy, train and supervise evaluators, create resource and best practice materials.
▪ Training, Webinars, Presentations: Design curriculum, create training materials and deliver training in international admissions, international credential evaluation, best practice, fraud detection and document verification; in person and via Webinars and other online platforms.
▪ Research and Publication: Conduct and share primary research through AACRAO communications media. ▪ Inter-associational Engagement: Provide best practice training at international education professional development programs in the United States and Europe.
Golden Gate University, San Francisco, CA: Associate Director of Admissions
▪ Evaluated records of international undergraduate and graduate applicants; coordinated admissions process; trained international evaluation staff.
University of California, Berkeley: International Admission Specialist, Office of Undergraduate Admission ▪ Coordinated international undergraduate admission process applicants in a high-volume, highly publicly-scrutinized, selective admissions environment; trained domestic evaluators for international back-up.
Foundation for International Services, Inc., WA: Senior Foreign Credential Evaluator
▪ Evaluated foreign academic records for immigration and further education.
University of Maryland University College, Schwäbisch Gmünd, Germany: Director of Student Services ▪ As registrar and academic adviser, managed US and international records and advising for student body representing over 40 countries.
Cardinal Stritch University, Milwaukee WI: Coordinator of Graduate Admissions
▪ Created the graduate admissions office; advised applicants; evaluated US and international student records.
Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (ECE), Milwaukee WI: Foreign Credential Evaluator ▪ Evaluated foreign academic records for education, professional licensure, employment and immigration, with associated responsibilities for research, professional development training and institutional interface.
Professional Development Leadership
AACRAO Member since 1989; staff since 2002. Original presentations and workshops on foreign credential evaluation, international admissions best practices, diploma and accreditation mill fraud. International Education Committee, 1992.
NAFSA Member since 1989; original national and regional conference presentations and workshops on foreign credential evaluation, international admissions best practices, evaluation resources, diploma and accreditation mill fraud. National ADSEC Team, 2000-02.
EAIE Member since 1992; Autumn Academy Trainer 2013; original annual conference presentations and workshops on education in southern Europe, US accreditation, diploma and accreditation mill fraud.
AIE Arizona International Educators, member and session presenter since 2014.
TAICEP Member since March 2016.
Additional Original Presentations, Workshops and Training Programs
▪ California Community College Chancellor’s Office, international credential evaluation training, 2017 ▪ Maricopa Community College District, Phoenix, international admissions and records training, 2005, 2015, 2016 ▪ Institutional training: Arizona State University (AZ), University of Phoenix (AZ), Chapman University (CA), Holy Names University (CA), California Baptist University (CA), 2002-2017
▪ ACFE (Association of Certified Fraud Examiners), 2007
▪ WASC (Western States Association of Schools and Colleges), 2007
▪ NASDTEC (National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification), 2007 ▪ NAGAP (National Association of Graduate Admission Professionals), 2006, 2007, 2018
▪ UNICA (Universities of the Capitals of Europe), Lausanne, Switzerland, 2006
▪ California Commission on Teacher Credentialing, 2004
▪ Western States Certification Conference (teacher certification), 2004, 2005, 2006
Public Service in Higher Education
Arizona State University, Tempe AZ: Affiliate, Melikian Russian and East European Studies Center ▪ Presented information sessions on US education and accreditation systems for visiting scholars and administrators ▪ Assisted the University of Prishtina, Kosovo, in developing centralized student records systems ▪ Designed and implemented research project on education in Uzbekistan with Uzbek visiting scholar
Alverno College, Milwaukee WI: Volunteer External Assessor, School of Business
▪ Evaluated student performance and self-assessments in international business meeting simulations
▪ Master of Arts in Foreign Language and Literature: German, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee ▪ Bachelor of Arts with Distinction, major in German, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
▪ Associate of Arts, major in Music, Alverno College, Milwaukee WI
▪ Study abroad in Germany:
o Goethe-Universität Frankfurt am Main
o Freie Universität Berlin
o Universität Freiburg im Breisgau
Publications & Presentations
Biweekly newsletter – https://www.aacrao.org/resources/newsletters-blogs/aacrao-connect. Numerous news items including emerging news, updates on country educational systems and information on individual
higher education institutions.
AACRAO Publications in print
AACRAO Online Bookstore: https://www.aacrao.org/research-publications/online-bookstore
AACRAO Publications Catalog in pdf: https://www.aacrao.org/docs/default-source/pubs/aacrao-publications-catalog_oct2020.pdf?sfvrsn=44e96b3b_2
The Admission and Placement of Students from the Republic of Poland, PIER Workshop Report, 1992 (also scanned in AACRAO EDGE)
The AACRAO International Guide, A Resource for International Education Professionals
2001 ed., Chapter 7: Fraudulent Credentials: How to Protect Your Institution Against Fraud
2010 ed., Chapter 7: Fighting Fraud in the Admissions and Registrar’s Offices
2016 ed., Chapter 19: Fighting Fraud in the Admissions and Registrar’s Offices
Guide to Bogus Institutions and Documents, AACRAO, 2021
Chapter Ten: Fighting Fraud in the Admissions and Registrar’s Offices
Guide to Bogus Institutions and Documents, AACRAO, 2006
Chapter Three: A Practical Guide to Documentation review and Verification in International Admissions
The Transfer Handbook: Promoting Student Success, AACRAO 2015
Chapter Eleven: Fighting Fraud: Verifying Credentials
The Educational System of the Russian Federation, An AACRAO Country Guide, AACRAO 2008 (also scanned in AACRAO EDGE)
The Impact of Bologna and Three-Year Degrees on U.S. Admissions, AACRAO, 2007
AACRAO International Graduate Admissions Guide, 2003
Appendix A: Practical Guide to Documentation review and Verification in International Admissions
AACRAO C & U (College and University) Journal, AACRAO quarterly journal (members only)
International Resources: Electronic Tools for International Admissions:
I – Five Tips for Learning to Use the Internet, Vol 78, No. 2, Fall 2002
II – E-Russia – Vol. 78, No. 3, Winter 2003
III – Have You Hugged Your Computer Today? Vol. 78, No. 4, Spring 2003
A Practical Guide to Documentation Review and Verification in International Admissions, Vol. 77, No. 4, Spring 2002.
Fighting Domestic and International Fraud in the Admissions and Registrar’s Offices, Vol. 88, No. 1, Summer 2012.
AACRAO country profiles and publications in AACRAO EDGE (subscription required), https://www.aacrao.org/edge
Author of or contributor to many EDGE Profiles including Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Georgia, Kosovo, Poland, Russia, Serbia, Uzbekistan.
Contributor to country publications scanned in EDGE:
The Admission and Placement of Students from the Republic of Poland, PIER Workshop Report, 1992
The Educational System of the Russian Federation, An AACRAO Country Guide, AACRAO 2008
Albania and Germany 1999 profiles in A Guide to Educational Systems Around the World
Educational Credential Evaluators
An Overview of the Educational System of Albania, ECE, Inc., 1993, https://www.ece.org/ECE/Institutions/Publications
AACRAO International Pre-SEM Workshop in Phoeniz, October 2019
AACRAO Annual Meeting in Los Angeles, April 2019 – Bad knees!
EAIE Academy in Tallinn, Estonia, November 2013
IESC virtual mtg photo 10-1-2020
PIER Poland & Czech-Slovak workshop teams, Prague, May 1991
Ann Koenig (The Pillar) & Ed Devlin (The Legend) @ San Franisco Giants Spring Training in Scottsdale AZ, March 2010
Ann directing the Phoenix Desert Pipes with Ed in the audience, March 2010
UNICA Conference on fraud, Lausanne, Switzerland, March 2006